Downtown areas like ours here in Circleville are traditionally known as the “commercial district” which reflect community pride and are a sign of how the community is doing as a whole. It is also a reflection of our local heritage. It is the very heart of our community. Here are a few reasons why Downtown Circleville is so important to folks not only in the Circleville, Ohio area but the greater Pickaway County area.
Why is Downtown Circleville Important?
- Downtown districts are prominent employment centers. Even the smallest commercial district employs hundreds of people, and often the district is collectively the community’s largest employer.
- The downtown district is a reflection of community image, pride, prosperity, and level of investment — critical factors in business retention and recruitment efforts.
- Downtown represents a significant portion of the community’s tax base. If the district declines, property values drop, placing more of a tax burden on other parts of town.
- The traditional commercial district is an ideal location for independent businesses, which in turn:
- Keeps profits in town with local owners
- Supports other local businesses and services
- Supports local families with family-owned businesses
- Supports local community projects
- Provides a stable economic foundation with direct ties to the community
- Downtown is the historic core of the community. Its buildings embody the community’s past and its visual identity.
- A vital downtown area reduces sprawl by concentrating business in one area and uses community resources wisely, such as existing infrastructure, tax dollars, and land.
- A healthy downtown core protects property values in surrounding residential neighborhoods.
- The district is a government center where city hall, municipal buildings, the courthouse, and/or post office are located. It often is an important service center as well for finding attorneys, insurance offices, financial institutions and other important services.
- Downtown provides an important civic forum, where members of the community can congregate. Special events and celebrations held downtown reinforce intangible sense of community.
- Downtown represents a huge public and private investment. Imagine how much it would cost to re-create all of the buildings and public infrastructure in Circleville’s downtown.
Information from the National Trust Main Street Center.